Follow these 5 simply rules to achieve that effortless French girl beauty look.
What is it about French women? That question might as well be the country's unofficial motto - because somehow whether roaming the streets of Paris or completely owning the catwalk - these women carry with them this perfectly, imperfect, casual cool. It's a completely effortless chic style, that leaves you wanting more. Or for me, wanting to learn how!
Last year I traveled through Paris, Nice, St. Tropez, Cannes and Eze immersing myself in the country's beauty, history, and style and committing myself to living that French girl lifestyle. I embraced my natural hair texture (no hairdryer, no curler) and a few local secrets for how to look perfectly imperfect (without ever trying too hard).
1. Prep (don't primp). Skincare is the star of any French girls' beauty routine. Glowing healthy skin is essential to a beauty regimen, allowing your best possible self to shine through, rather than transforming yourself or feeling like you need to cover anything up. A good cleanser, serum, mist, moisturizer, and occasional face mask will give you the perfect skin care regime to ensure your skin is glowing and beautiful when embracing your no-makeup gorgeousness.
2. Forget about blowouts. French women want amazing texture in their hair, so that means no flat-irons, no blowdryers. Instead embrace your natural texture by washing with shampoo and allow your hair to air dry (talk about a time saver), and even better wait for the next day when your hair has that just got out of bed, effortless wave. To ensure your hair doesn't look dry or damaged when wearing it messy - it's always best to commit to regular cuts. This ensures your hair looks healthy and shiny no matter how you style it! Embrace your next day locks + keep your hair oil free with Kaia Naturals Overnight Dry Shampoo.
3. Say yes to a red lip. Ready to let your lips make a statement?! In France, red lipstick is a fashion statement all on its own. So keep your hair messy, your skin fresh, throw-on a pair of jeans and heels and strut out the door like the total French girl you are! My go-to is RMS Beauty's Lip2Cheek for the perfect red-stained pout. What's great about RMS Beauty's Lip2Cheek is it pulls double duty, adding the perfect amount of pink to the apples of your cheek for a hint of color.
4. Bring light to the face (not shadow) Move over Kardashians, French girls never contour. Instead focus on the highlights of your face, the way the light catches your cheeks or the bow of your lips. It's all about highlighting the beautiful features that are already there, rather than trying to change your already beautiful bone structure. RMS Living Luminzer is my go-to for that dewy luminous glow. It's also RMS' biggest seller for a reason!
5. Make your smoky eye a little bit messy. You don't want anything looking too done or contrived, so leave your smoky eye a little messy and a little creamy for the perfect amount of dewiness to add to your effortlessly chic style. I love Lily Lolo's Limited Edition Smoke and Mirrors Eye Palette because it shades allow you to take your smoky eye from day to night, perfect for exploring your favorite French city.